ISO 14001:2015 helps an organization achieve the intended outcomes of its environmental management system, which provides value for the environment, the organization itself and interested parties.
Its aims to integrate the organization's EMS into the core organizational strategy. The key changes in this standard are:
- A greater commitment from leadership.
- An increased alignment with strategic direction.
- Greater protection for the environment, with a focus on proactive initiatives.
- More effective communication, driven through a communications strategy.
- Life-cycle thinking, considering each stage of a product or service, from development to end-of-life.
- Demonstrate compliance with current and future statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Increase leadership involvement and engagement of employees.
- Improve company reputation and the confidence of stakeholders through strategic communication.
- Achieve strategic business aims by incorporating environmental issues into business management.
- Provide a competitive and financial advantage through improved efficiencies and reduced costs.
- Encourage better environmental performance of suppliers by integrating them into the organization’s business systems.